Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Followers (or Ben Speaks More Truth)

As Ben points out in his rant, there seems to be a lot of people blindly following what car culture tells them is cool. This is evidenced everywhere I go, and by a lot of people I talk to. But with the advent of the internerd, these people can congregate online.

There's good people mixed in with them too, but there are a lot of examples at places like OzDat, AusRotary and Pulsar Group Australia. I'll quickly point out that I'm a member of all three forums, so I'm not without sin myself.

I have a strong motorsports bent. I see cars as art, sure, but I also see them as tools. Devices that assist you in meeting your needs. Be that commuting, or competition. And as with all tools, someone has designed them to meet a need. Some meet those needs better than others!

So it pains me to see intercoolers so large that they increase lag and violate a whole bunch of thermodynamic principles, or the common "Dumped Full Sikk Low" attitude that puts all suspension angles way out of their optimum range...

I'm all for trying new things. I'm all for using developed modifications to improve your vehicle. But when the modification is actually to the detriment of the performance of the vehicle, it frustrates me.

Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old. Or maybe I'm learning to think for myself. At least, sometimes... Naah. I must be getting old.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?