Monday, August 22, 2005

Metrify! Damn you, USA!

So I was feeling a bit poorly today (well, all weekend and today, really), so after moping on the couch for most of the day, I thought I'd hit the web and visit the usual cycle of sites, blogs and on-line galleries.

Hoopty Rides is a semi-regular on my blog-cycle, and has a little piece on user-serviceable components, which is actually really similar to a tale that Ben told not that long ago.

Of course, the big difference is that Ben and I live over in a Metric country. Australia underwent metrification in the sixties. I'm sure there was a period of pain and re-adjustment (I don't know, I wasn't born then), but everything works just fine now, except for people still dealing with stuff from non-metrified countries. Like The Good Ole' US of A.

Metric makes so much sense, makes life easier for a whole range of reasons. The US has metric money, but couldn't make the leap with measures, be they of distance, weight or volume.

I know that Mister Jalopy only wants to have to use one tool set per vehicle. Please, oh please, make it the metric toolset. In this global world, surely the metric destinations for all this stuff can encourage your nation to give metrification a proper chance! It's worked for so many others, let it work for you!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?