Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Mazda's New Coupe?

Ben mentions a Jalopnik story on a Mazda concept coupe, probably/possibly based on the MX-5 platform.

Oh, how I hope there is some truth to these rumours! There's a few things I see being different here, though.

While I understand the assumption that it would use the 2.0 litre engine of the MX-5, it makes sense for it to use the 2.3 litre powerplant of the SP23 Mazda 3 and generic Mazda 6 models. I hope that it is essentially a hardtopped/coupe-ified MX-5, in the way that a Porsche Cayman is to a Porsche Boxster.

And I know it's a longshot, but I pray for it to use the Renesis rotary engine (be it the RX-8 13B, or the much-rumoured "wide-rotor" engine). Or at least I hope for a rotorised variant, like days of old, when Mazda would produce both a piston-powered mainstream car, and a rotary-powered low-volume option.

I think the use of the RX-3 moniker is a step too far, but then, stranger things have happened.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?