Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Meme Digression: Mack the Knife

I'm sure this is the first in a series of meme progressions/digressions that I'll discuss with you all...

Ben posted up about his Jazz/Swing based Mercedes mix tape, and I commented that it sounded cool, but missed that hep-cat tune "Mack the Knife" that seemed to fit with what I knew of the tunes he'd mentioned.

Of course, Ben put me onto the Wikipedia Entry on Mack the Knife, which lent a completely new outlook for me on the basis of the song. Before now it had been a tune to me, with some odd and morbid lyrics, much like a Nick Cave song.

Straight Dope confirms the Wikipedia story, and now I've got some thinking to do about the origins of more songs that I like. That, and trying to track down a production of The Threepenny Opera, and a CD of Bobby Darin featuring the tune that started this thought...

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?