Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Reflection...

As most people that know me are aware, I had a bit of a wake-up call on Saturday, when in what was a relatively minor off in the rally car, I had a substantial log come through the window and belt me in the side of the head. Then there were other events over the weekend that have caused even more pause for thought.

In the two days since, I've had plenty of time to reflect, and think about whether I would continue rallying (I will, definitely), what impact this would have on my wife and our relationship (none, thank heavens), and why I want to keep rallying (a difficult question at the best of times).

When it comes down to it, why we do anything can be hard to define, and usually has a multitude of reasons, some we can quantify/qualify to ourselves, and some we can't.

I know that I always say I rally (and enjoy motorsport) because of the people involved with it. I maintain that anything could be interesting, if the people involved are passionate about it. It just happens that motorsport people are passionate about their motorsport, and rally people doubly so.

I enjoy the challenge of rallying. I enjoy the variety of surfaces, conditions, times, people and all the other variables. I enjoy the fact that it's not easy (although that can be very frustrating, too).

I enjoy having someone in the car to share the experience with, who also contributes to your result. I enjoy competing against someone else, but against myself and the clock at the same time.

What has struck me over the last couple of days, is that I enjoy that rally people care. That they ask how you are, and care about the response. That they offer to help, and seek ways to actually make that mean something.

I enjoy the people, and what we mean to each other. I enjoy that we reflect each others strengths, and weaknesses.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?